Friday, October 10, 2014

Surprise! ...Snack

My elementary schooler was always hungry after school. It was too early for a full meal but I couldn't think of a snack off hand. One day, I scoured the cabinets and realized that I had a jackpot of snacks hidden away in a bottom corner cabinet! What a waste. They were unnoticed, unopened and I often went out to buy something.



Here's the money saver. I move them to a higher cabinet where I wouldn't forget them and wrote a list of the snacks that I had. Then, I wrote them several times on paper, cut out the snack names, folded  (or bunched) them and threw them in a drawstring sack. 

NOTE: Use pencil case pouch with age appropriate snacks for younger sibling(s).

When my kids came home, I explained that I had a "snack sack" for them and that they had to pick a paper to determine what surprise snack they would receive for the day. This small activity made a world of difference. They were more excited about the snack now that it was a...surprise! 

If I had suggested it without the game, then the snack would've been less appealing. Trust me, I speak from experience. 

It's a win-win. Snacks aren't wasted & time + money is saved from going out and buying extra. 


1 comment:

  1. You're right! Everything is more fun when identified as a "surprise" for kids. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete